Happy birth to the cool and entertaining oily boy Drew.
BEST REASON TO WRITE A FUCKIN’ RECORD REVIEW TODAY…
✩RAT COLUMNS Leaf LP (ripsocietyrecords, Australia - 2014)✩
Yet even more evergreen pop detonation from guys who once called hardcore home. That may not be such a big deal these days, but ignite the seven cannons already, is there anything this David West and his friends can’t do well? This is the second Rat Columns long player and if the world is as soft as lace, it’d be wrapped in guitars and synths David chiseled from crinkled snake heads. Hey, it’s Saturday night and I’m staying in, so the Felt comparisons will flow as fast as I can type. Besides, RAT COLUMNS are on tour in the United Snakes of America right now and some of us gotta rehearse our lines for all the upcoming rip society soirées. Anyway, Leaf is as affective and powerful as understatement can be: the real power here radiates from the slow lost lovers “Sixteen,” “Petrified” and “Empty Lanes.” That’s when these guys glow and you can take a voyage to illumination with them at the sapphire mansion parties listed below…
- Rat Columns - 2014 Tour Dates…
- 13-Sep SAT - PITTSBURGH @ GOOSKIS w/ PENDING DELIGHT
- 14-Sep SUN - NEW YORK CITY @ DEATH BY AUDIO w/ RIPS & OUTSIDE WORLD + THE STEVENS (AUSTRALIA)
- 16-Sep TUES - BOSTON @ THE MIDWAY w/ MAJOR STARS & WHORE PAINT
- 17-Sep WEDS - PHILLY @ BOOT & SADDLE w/ BUSSES
- 18-Sep THURS - RICHMOND @ GALLERY FIVE w/ HEAVY MIDGETS & CHRISTI
- 19-Sep FRI - LEXINGTON @ Al’s Bar w/ IDIOT GLEE & THE STEVENS & SHAWNTHONY CALYPSO
- 20-Sep SAT - MEMPHIS @ MURPHYS
- 21-Sep SUN - ??? GET IN TOUCH! ???
- 22-Sep MON - DALLAS @ THREE LINKS (Deep Ellum, TX, 2704 Elm St) w/ IDIOT GLEE
- 23-Sep TUES - AUSTIN AFTERNOON INSTORE FREE SHOW @ END OF AN EAR RECORDS, 5PM
- 23-Sep TUES - AUSTIN @ HOTEL VEGAS w/ IDIOT GLEE & SOFT VISION & VEIL DIVIDE
- 25-Sep THURS - ALBUQUERQUE @ SISTER w/ MERCHANDISE & LOWER
- 26-Sep FRI - PHOENIX @ 51WEST w/ MERCHANDISE & LOWER
- 27-Sep SAT - SAN DIEGO HOUSE PARTY w/ STATUES OF GOD & OTHERS
- 28-Sep SUN - LOS ANGELES @ LOS GLOBOS w/ DUNES & GUN OUTFIT
- 29-Sep MON - SAN FRANCISCO @ THE KNOCKOUT w/ GENERATION LOSS & FOSTER HOUSE
- Mosurock knows: “Somehow, West has crossed Australian pop with pleading, emotive American strains, and come up with a meaningful and poignant record for this calendar year. I can only hope that this project continues in, and with, such a strong internal direction.”
- Hurry and buy Rat Columns’ Leaf at Easter Bilby before Bruce goes out on tour with Ausmuteants and gets sick from shoveling their vomit out of the van every night. (I made that up, drive safely everybody.)
- Damn it if Brooklyn Vegan didn’t beat us to the punch with a Rat Columns post. They must pay their writers more than Fuckin’ Record Reviews does.
The people who are bowling piss in the bowling balls, they roll them and a serious of intricate channels takes them over the stage to the bar, where they are emptied and made into edgy cocktails.
FYI Standard Bowl is a venue in Sydney where there’s miniature bowling lanes or something and you bowl while bands play I think?
Bed Wettin’ Bad Boys rehearsing in the RIP Society space for their gigs this coming weekend.
A Sunday zinger at the NSC. See you there.
Sun 14 Sep - $12 at the door. Doors 4pm
DICK DIVER 6.50- 7.50
BED WETTIN’ BAD BOYS 5.40- 6.20
GHASTLY SPATS 4.30- 5.10
Presale tix at : newtownsocialclub.com
In Poland they call it a koncert. In the USA it’s called a show. In Germany it’s a konzert. In the UK it’s a rave or symphony. In Italy it’s a concerto. In Australia it’s called a gig (or sometimes jig) and a small percentage of the population enjoys them or feels socially obligated to go to them every once and a while. Here are some gigs related to this record label in the near future….
*Thursday Pistonhead & RIP Society present THE STEVENS, RUINED FORTUNE & MEAT TRAY. Cool bands. Who needs a soul anyway??
Saturday Twerps EP Launch at Red Rattler. BWBBs first show in months. Rehearsals have been very productive. Stoked 2 be playing with Twerps. I’m very glad The Friendsters are playing too!
*Tuesday Aug 26 Bed Wettin’ Bad Boys play Manly Boatshed for the launch of a new range of street wear. Straight Arrows are also playing but I think it’s in a shop or something. If anyone wants to come or know anyone that’d want to come I can put you on the door. I would love to invite a quirky Mr Bean style character to spice up the night. There’s free alcohol and maybe free fedoras and food.
Friday 29 and Sunday 31 Repressed Records 12th Birthday Show!! Two swell line-ups that I hope reflect multiple facets of what the shop stocks. Drunk Elk, Cooper Bowman and Soma Coma all coming from out of town. Also a massive sale at the store that weekend. It’s also my birthday on Sunday.
*Wednesday September 17. Housewives, Low Life, Ausmuteants play with euro superstars Ice Age. I have wiggled my way onto the Bill as the DJ (yeah I’m a DJ now, who isn’t?!?!) I will be playing the beautiful song by Lou Reed & Metallica - Junior Dad in it’s entirety at some point. It goes for 19min and is a whole side of the 2xLP. Other selections will probably include Merciful Fate, Skatt Bros, first Sick Of It All 7”, Hieroglyphic Being and anything else that’ll amuse me, myself and I at the expense of others. DJ BEN WARNOCK will also be selecting tunes (he’s a DJ now too).
* = some corporate interest and non-standard process to obtain entry
If anyone want to see Bed Wettin’ Bad Boys for free in the beachside suburb of Manly next Tuesday 9pm night get in touch. It’s a fashion launch night, we’ve got a few door spots for people in the area or willing to travel. Anyone that deserves a night out, may get a kick out of our band, works weekends (when we usually play) feel free to drop us a line.